Sore To The Core

“Hi, my name is Jenna Pilant and I’ve been thin for pretty much my entire life.”

For the past thirty years, I have quietly stood by while being told that I should eat something, that I look anorexic, that I shouldn’t work out . . . so today, I finally decided to write about something that weighs very heavy on my heart = being a thin woman in today’s society.

I only WISH I was kidding.

To put it another way, it suddenly seems cool to hate on the “skinny” girls. Well, I am here to tell you that enough is enough and it’s honestly not very becoming. I was born this way, folks, and that’s true for a good portion of us. I mean I understand people’s concerns about eating disorders, but I’m naturally built this way. In fact, I think it’s called genetics? ;) I wore boy’s jeans as a child and couldn’t even bench-press the bar in my high school gym class. I’m practically all limbs and feel like a frog with pants on most days. I think it is so rad how the world has embraced the curvy chick, but somewhere along the way, the message became blurred and the backlash of the slim gal was born. What most women need to remember, and for whatever reason soon forget, is that each of us is battling our own insecurities daily AND that no female in this whole-wide world will ever be 100% happy with her body. Take me for example. I don’t WANT to be a string bean. Hell, I want to be Beyoncé! But it’s important to realize that instead of wishing we were some else, we should instead celebrate our individual uniqueness, our various body types, and try to be the best version of our self possible.

That’s why the past couple of years I have been doing everything in my power to become stronger – both physically and mentally.

Now, I’ll be the first one to admit that the latter is definitely the easier task of the two :/ not only because I am a “string bean” but also because I struggle to put on [and keep] muscle mass. And for that very same reason, I started yoga a little under three years ago and it’s immensely paid off. I’m the strongest I have ever been with extraordinary amounts of energy and an almost-sickening, cheery demeanor. With that being said, however, I was still not seeing the results I was needing for my abs. I say “need” verses “want” as my core has been the main roadblock between me and my yoga fitness goals. Enter: @alexajeanfitness [man, I love Instagram] shortly after my thirtieth birthday, I made a personal goal to dedicate 2015 to solidifying my stomach muscles. BUT, even with all those crunches, nothing seemed to be changing and that’s when I found Alexa Jean and quickly developed a girl crush. Not only does she brilliantly find ways to workout with no gym, she is a strong woman [inside and out] giving both great ideological inspiration and home workout routines via her Instagram account.  Henceworth, if she can have those kind of abs, then why shouldn’t I?!

Sore To The Core: Before & After

Thus, I have just finished Alexa Jean Fitness’s “Sore To The Core” 30-Day Ab Challenge. It was only $10.00 online and honestly doesn’t take much time. She gives you a circuit of different ab exercises each day that you complete three times each with one-minute “rest” intervals in between. PLUS,  you only do said workouts on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday with Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday as rest days. SO, all things considered, how can one ab-hungry gal not fit in this ab series?! I was easily able to introduce it into my already jam-packed schedule, AND as you can see by my “before and after,” I have seen significant improvement on both the sides of my stomach and my lower abdominal region. Yes, there’s not a whole lot of definition yet, but like I said before, I have a hard time personally retaining muscle. I know more definition will appear with time and the continuation of this “Sore To The Core” routine. But for now, I’m simply elated to be stronger and cannot wait to see how this affects my yoga practice. Hopefully, this “Olive Oyl” will start being able to do some of those inversions she’s so been wanting to try!

“What people don’t understand is that calling someone too skinny is the same as calling someone too fat; it’s not a nice feeling.” Kendall Jenner

SO [in closing] let’s try to remember that every woman’s body is beautiful, and that while we are living this amazing adventure called life, to be kinder and more supportive of one another. We don’t need to be in competition all the time nor size each other up from head-to-toe. Us, ladies, are ALL gorgeous in our own right. And like Beyonce says, “Who run the world?” GIRLS!

Please, share your thoughts about this post. Be kind & play nice.
  1. Noelle says:

As a fellow skinny gal I know the struggle all to well! I felt the need to hide the fact that I went to the gym due to so many people making the comment of “You’re to skinny already, do you really need to go to the gym and get even skinnier” or the best one yet “You don’t need to lose weight. Why are you going to the gym?” UM HELLO its called being active and living healthy! That aside I have been looking into sore to the core and Alexas other work outs as a great substitute for those days I have limited or no time for the gym. I know that most of the porgrams are 30 days but can you still access the PDF after those 30 days are up? I would hate to buy it and not use it to its fullest! :)

2. kate says:

Recently i bought Alexa’s abs ebook so i think that i would have some result with my ”abs”. By the way Jenna, i can see from the picture that you’re very energy woman so i can tell you that you look so beatiful even without those abs

3. Allison Fabian says:

I found your blog post while searching for reviews on alexa jean’s workout videos. All my life I’ve been told you’re so skinny or too skinny, I’ve been asked “are you bulimic?”, “have you lost weight?” I’m 43yo, 3 kids & still thin. I run, workout (use ideas from alexa jeans IG acct) & eat all day. I love my body, but just recently have grown to be a bit insecure about it because I see hashtags like #strongnotskinny, or runners explain how they were too skinny and then they “smartened up”, ate healthy, gained weight & developed muscle & when I see before & after pics, I look like the before pic now. I’m very healthy, so my doctor says when I go for my yearly physical, I have some damn nice abs due to my workout rituals. It was so great to read your post. I often wonder if there are women out there that have the same “skinny issue”- I’m having trouble finding them. Ps- You look amazing! Keep up on the yoga and strengthen that core, it really will help – although by now you’ve probably seen a ton of improvement. Peace & namaste.

• Jenna says:

I SO feel you, lady! You’re beautiful EVEN if you are skinny ;) I say as long as you’re healthy about it, that’s just the way you are built. Nothing wrong with it at all! Thank you for your kind words too!

4. marissa says:

You look amazing! i payed for this ebook yet i can’t find the pdf if you can, please please send it to me i would greatly appreciate, and keep up the great work!

5. Lucy says:

Thanks so much for this inspirational and educational post! I didn’t start reading this post thinking I would learn what I did about “skinny people”. As someone who hasn’t always been skinny, I had what would be stereotypical view of skinny people. That quote by Kendall Jenner was also really well said. More people need to hear it!
    For this program, about how much time a day do you put into the workouts? And how does meal planning work– is that just an on your own thing?

• Jenna says:

The program takes about 15-20 minutes daily but you’re only doing an actual ab workout on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. It’s so easy to introduce it to your daily schedule. I don’t really follow any meal plan. I’ve eaten 6-8 times a day since I was a toddler. It’s just how I’ve always been and I think I can contribute that to my high metabolism :) I hope that helps and thank you for stopping by!

6. Sonia says:

Love your post babe, also the blag is one of my favs , i have a question,
    Can you pleaseee send me alexa’s pdf’s? I have kayla itsines and fits girl guide if you want an exchange, i would be so thankful if you send it to esblogger@gmail.com

• Jenna says:

Thank you for your kind words, Sonia! I greatly appreciate :) I don’t, however, feel comfortable sharing the PDF with you. As a fellow business owner myself, I believe Alexa deserves to get paid for her hard work :) I hope you understand. Thanks again!

7. Laken says:

I love this post!!! I’ve been dealing with this issue after having my 2nd baby and getting back in shape. People feel the need to say, “you’re too skinny” or “you need to quit loosing weight”. Really?! I just had a baby, set a goal for myself and then blew it out of the water! I’m proud of myself and I’ve put a lot of work into getting fit again, so it’s very hurtful for people to make those negative comments! Skinny shaming is NO different than fat shaming!!! Thank you for this post!!

• Jenna says:

Awe! Thank you, Laken! This blog post was a long time coming. I am sorry it hit so close to home for you :( but hope you brought you some comfort that you are not alone. I hope you’ll continue to follow my journey and share your comments along the way! Take care and keep working towards the best YOU!

8. This is such an awesome post… It’s crazy how our culture shifts from one extreme to the other without even realizing it. Thank you for bringing awareness to an important issue!

On another- possibly long and random- note, I just read your feature in Darling (congrats!!!!!!) and just wanted to let you know how I inspiring you are. I too grew up in central NE (and am currently back there living and seeking to be a creative in a town that doesn’t value it as much as I wish….) but all that to say- I think what you’re doing is incredible and I will be trying my hands at upholstery very soon ;)

Olivia
    Simplylivblog.blogspot.com

• Jenna says:

NO WAY, GIRL! Where about in Nebraska are you from??? Thank you for your kind words about my post and the congrats on Darling :) it was a dream come true!

9. Loved this article. I remember dealing with similar issues growing up. It changed when i had kids though..lol. great article.

10. Bekka says: