I’ve mentioned Art After Dark a couple of times here on LLM, but just in case you don’t have the slightest clue, here’s a little bit about it:
Art After Dark is a mash-up art party that happens every three to four months at OMA (Oceanside Museum of Art). Each one features a different theme and combines creativity with entertainment. There’s exhibits, music, interactive art projects, dancing, food, beer, wine . . . pretty much anything an adult could possibly need to have a good time.
Well, that’s because it is ;) I mean I might be a little biased because I’ve personally been on the Art After Dark committee for two years now, but trust me, if my D enjoys something like this, you KNOW it’s a sure thing. Anyway, we’re kicking off this year with an avant-garde Valentine’s soiree that will explore the very best of vintage pop culture, music, and art from the 50’s through 80’s. And it’s not couples only. This is where even the loneliest of hearts can go and have some fun.
The evening will include:
– Dance music by DJ Dedication.
– A garden of fashion made entirely of flowers by artist, Erika San Luis, of Vonrei Designs.
– Video art by Stefa Witt.
– A romantic “Against the Grain” lounge by Jason Mayer.
– Live musical performances by Celeste Barbier, Gigi Coddington, and Matt Sundstedt.
– A display of “Rotten Roses” by Alana Rose of SyFy’s hit TV show: FaceOff.
– Video montage projections by Stevie Brown & Charles Thi.
– A Vintage POP! photo booth.
– Renderings of pop culture icons, from John Wayne to Robert Smith, by TEKST artist Jason Markow and artist Steven Van.
– An interactive art station by New Village Arts Foundry.
– AND thematic décor by lifestyle blogger, Jenna Carlson, of Lucky Little Mustardseed.
[Yes, you did read that right. I AM providing a brunt of the décor for the event. In fact, LLM has become an official sponsor of Art After Dark. How cool is that?!]
Guests will also be the first to experience OMA’s new pop art-inspired mosaic sculpture exhibition, Jean Wells: Icons of Desire, where you could even have the opportunity to get married by an ordained minister inside a 16-foot Hershey’s Kiss sculpture!
“I like old movies, screwball comedies, vintage clothes, and basically I’m an old-fashioned gal.” – Zooey Deschanel
SO, as you can read, this is going to be a very rad event – AND the best part is you don’t even need to be a fan of Saint Valentine to attend ;) just throw on some vintage threads from your favorite era and pay your admission at the door!